It does not matter if you wish to travel for business or pleasure because placing your pet in a kennel is something you should avoid. Simultaneously, asking your friend to care about your dog or cat is another problem that may affect both sides.
Instead of worrying about your pet, you can find a sitter that will visit your home, feed your cat or dog, walk it and help you deal with this particular situation without potential trauma.
You should check here to learn more about caring for your dog while you are away.
Most of them will play with it, feed and give it water, and take it to a vet if something happens. The main idea is to ensure that you find the best sitter to provide you with a perfect experience.
This detailed guide will help you understand each step of finding a best pet sitter.
Why Should You Find a Pet Sitter?
Taking your pet to a kennel comes with numerous disadvantages that can affect its health, which is why you should avoid it. Generally, it will lead to severe anxiety and stress to your furry friend, which is why you should leave it to a natural environment.
Changing routines is highly problematic because they depend on a regular diet, exercise walks, and other factors to keep them happy while you are gone.
Instead of relying on a kennel that features a wide array of dogs within boxes that look like prisons, you can find a sitter that will guarantee a good interaction, which will prevent potential issues from happening.
That is the main reason why you should choose a personalized service, which will help you prevent the potential disease spreading, aggression, and depression that can happen specifically to dogs when they are away from their favorite human.
Of course, before you make up your mind, it is vital to find someone you can trust with your beloved pet, which you can determine through an in-person interview.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Pet Sitter
Before you decide to hire anyone, you need to follow a few tips that will help you determine his/her abilities. We are talking about the in-person interview in your household, which will help you observe their interaction with your dog or cat.
In case you notice something that will affect your dog’s enjoyment, we recommend you choose someone else. They should get along from the very start. Of course, during an interview, you should show them where toys, water, food, and other tools are
Besides, you should ensure to visually show them your dog’s routine, which is a way better solution than writing everything down and risking what will happen when they are alone.
The first thing you should consider is the experience of a particular sitter, while the love of your furry friends should be next in the line. Generally, the worst thing you can do is hire a teen who wants to earn a few dollars to help you out with the process.
Instead, it would be best to find an experienced adult with years of experience in this particular field.
Still, one of the most important considerations is to check out whether your pet is comfortable with a sitter and vice versa. You should avoid hiring someone afraid of your dog. At the same time, if you have an animal with behavioral issues, you should tell everything beforehand.
You should find someone who has proper commercial liability insurance, certification, and bond in the best-case scenario to ensure the experience and understanding.
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-2JeASr2-M to learn how to become a certified sitter.
At the same time, he/she should have a clear and transparent criminal history, which will protect you against potential negligence or accidents that may happen on your premises.
Additional factors should be pet first aid and CPR experience, especially if you have an old dog with a particular condition.
Keep in mind that a pet sitter should be available each time you need him/her. It does not matter if you need a sitter in the mornings or deal with the entire routine.
Besides, it would be best if you always had a backup solution if a sitter you work with cannot arrive on time due to personal reasons.
Things to Tell Your Sitter About Your Pet
It is crucial to provide your sitter with accurate information about your pet, which will help him/her with the best course of action. The information should include:
- Medicine – Tell about shots, pills, vitamins, and creams your pet requires daily, which is an important consideration to remember.
- Diet – When it comes to diet, you should explain a regular diet regimen you have implemented. For instance, if you give it dry or wet food or combination depending circumstances. Also, they should know the frequency of changing water and feeding.
- Toys – If your dog requires regular playtime, you should tell about frequency, the toys you are using, and their location beforehand.
- Exercise –If you have a dog, you should know that exercise is crucial to keep it stimulated along the way. That is the main reason why you should tell a sitter about location and time while taking your dog on a walk to ensure every single step. You should also explain the area of the harness or leash and how to place it with ease.
- Grooming – If you have a pet with an excessive need for grooming, you should ask a sitter how often to do it and whether he/she can handle it.
- Vet – In the worst-case scenarios, your pet should go to a vet due to numerous reasons. It means that you should leave a contact number, address, and other information about the closest veterinarian and the course of action she/he should take during this situation.
- Hiding Spots – Some pets are timid, and they have favorite hiding spots to relax and enjoy. It would help to tell a sitter about potential hiding areas, including a bathtub, behind the sofa, in the closet, or underthe bed. You should check out Queen City Pet Sitting’s official website to learn more about different options you can choose.
- Temperature and Lightning – The worst thing you can do is leave your pet with no heat or AC during hot or cold days. At the same time, you should avoid leaving it in the dark. Therefore, explain both lightning and temperature requirements beforehand.